Dirty iron? Clean it up with a little baking soda moistened with vinegar. not only does it make a cool science experiment, but with a little elbow grease, it will remove a decade-old stain without any crazy chemicals.
And if you get anything stuck in your steam holes, use a cotton swab, cut in half, to poke it out. the stick is the perfect size to remove the gunk.
I’m pretty bad at frosting a cake. Really bad.
But I have a trick to make your cake look a lot more professional. Use a hair dryer to smooth out the clumpy icing. Gently blow it onto the cake (use the high heat setting but the low-blow setting!) and when the icing starts to get shiny, turn it off. Then, use a spatula to go over the cake, gently flattening the icing. Works like a charm!
Make seed starter pots from the newspapers in your house.
1. Fold about 2 inches along the long side of a sheet of newspaper.
2. Roll a cup (the width depends on how wide you want your seed cup to be) along the fold, roughly lining the open edge of the cup along the bottom of the folded section. This will make the sides of your cup.
3. Shove the extra newspaper into the bottom of your cup.
4. Slide your newspaper “cup” off your real cup and turn your real cup over. Use the flat bottom of your real cup to push the bottom flat and into place.
5. Set in your seed starter container and fill with potting mix!
When you’re getting ready for a party, put some plastic wrap under your tablecloth. That way, if any of your guests spill their drink, your wood table will be fine. (works on end tables, too)
Easy way to get the top off a strawberry: Poke a straw up through the bottom. When it pokes through the top, the leaves will just wipe right off. (Plus, it makes a good kabob!)
When shopping for a hose, step on it. If it collapses under your foot, don’t get it — look for a hose that can stands up to your weight.
Don’t leave nicks in your wall when you pull out a nail. Simply rest your hammer’s claw against the brim of a hat when you push against the wall, and you’ll have a nice, scuff-free wall when you’re done.